Follow by Email

Monday, November 14, 2011

Addict or Hoarder?

Ever look the words "addict" or "hoarder" up in the dictionary?  Well, I have.  Since I began beading and creating jewelry these words have been used quite a bit in my home!  I confess to being a bead addict.  I don't deny it.  Not a day goes by that I don't shop for, design and create jewelry with, touch or dream about the silly things!  There are so many colors, shapes, textures and sizes to choose from that I never grow bored in my endless search for these marvelous little creations.

I've been feeling kind of guilty about my obsession with beads.  I've been accused of going a 'little overboard'.  That's when I decided to look up the words.  Here's the definition of addict that pertains to me:

ADDICT -  'an enthusiastic devotee of a sport or pastime'.

That doesn't sound so bad now does it?  I can live with that.

Then I looked up hoarder.  Since A&E aired their TV program "Hoarders", the word hoarder seems to just rolls off our tongues.  I watch that show with shock and awe and really don't care to be thought of in the hoarding category.  Here's the definition that I can live with:

HOARDER - 'accumulate more than one's current requirements of food, etc. in a time of scarcity'.

Well, beads are scarce in my town!  It's true that I have more beads than I'll ever be able to use.  But just when my stash seems to be dwindling someone will ask me to make something for them and just my luck I don't have the perfect beads to create that request.  And so the hoarding begins.  

My husband can tease me all he wants I guess.  After all, he does fund my so-called addiction.   He uses phrases like 'my wife is a bead junkie' or, 'my wife hoards beads' or my favorite one, 'how's the bead addict today'?

So, I guess I'm a little bit of both.  But, I'm going to call myself an artist.  In fact, I used the word artist on the 'occupation' field on a form recently.  It seemed kind of weird but sometimes we don't give ourselves enough credit for the things we create.  I'm very proud of my work and it's time to take the compliments seriously and get to the business of creating beautiful, affordable pieces of wearable art that others may enjoy!

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.

I promise it's only going to get better and better and soon there will be pictures!

Thank you and namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment